Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 42 - A Huge Surprise

Hola,

Well this week I got the news of a HUGE surprise that I wasn’t really expecting. On Friday, I got a call that I needed to pack my bags and come to Cusco. So, I packed my bags and had to say a really, really hard good-bye to all of the incredible people that I met during my time in Juliaca. As I departed Juliaca, I felt so sad because I had truly loved the work, the people, and everything about this city. But perhaps one of the hardest good-byes was to all of the amazing missionaries that I had the chance to help and learn from in my time in Juliaca as a Zone leader.

As I rode on the 8 hour bus ride, I had the chance to sit next to an older woman from Alsace Lorraine, France. This particular place has a really special significance to me because it happens to be the exact place where my mom’s side of the family is from. The woman named Frani was friendly and spoke very good English. As we sat, she wanted me to tell her and teach her about the things I have learned about Peru during my time here since she was here to visit as a tourist. As I did so, the conversation slowly shifted to what I was doing in Peru. I explained our purpose as missionaries and taught her a few basic principles that we believe in. The message really interested her and it was really incredible when I explained to her that my family was from the same place that she is. In the end, I got her information and I am going to send it to the mission that she lives in. There is always a chance to share the gospel as a missionary!

As I got to Cusco, I received my new assignment as one of President Herrera’s secretaries. My official title is the Financial Secretary because I will handle ALL of the money in the entire mission along with several other responsibilities. To be completely honest, I was a little sad that I would have this new position, but after thinking and praying, I have realized that this is where my Heavenly Father wants me to be. In my time here in Cusco, I will learn how the mission works and functions and at the same time, helping each missionary in the mission. I also will be serving in a new area called Chasqui in the Zone of Inti Raymi and I look forward to serving the amazing people here in Cusco. The previous Financial Secretary will be training me for a change on how everything works. His name is Elder Westbrook and is from Bountiful, Utah.

As I left Juliaca this past week, I felt a special spirit because this past week Elder Melo and I had put seven baptismal dates on the calendar and the Zone has incredible work going on. I am so thankful to have had the chance to serve and help in my time in Juliaca. Helping others is something that most overlook as missionaries, it is such a blessing to watch and help others to grow. I love my Heavenly Father and know that he has a reason for calling me to this new assignment. I love being a missionary and for the amazing experiences I will have in my new Sector!

Love,

Elder Fawcett

Elder Fawcett and New Companion Elder Westbrook