Monday, February 19, 2018

Week 84 - The Adversary and Peruvian Gangsters!

Hola,

So this week I just wanted to start off by telling you about today and what happened in changes. First off, my Companion Elder Vargas is leaving Puno and headed to another Zone. It has been great serving with him and I am grateful for all of the things that I have been able to learn from him. My change on the other hand is I will be staying here in Puno but have been called to train a new missionary! This means that tomorrow I will be getting on a bus and head to Cusco in order to pick up my new Companion. We will have a few trainings until Thursday when we get back to Puno and get started on teaching the incredible people here!

Perhaps the biggest highlight of last week was having the baptism of Russell this past Saturday! His family came to support him and we were able to contact them. They are super great and very supportive of Russell and his desires to become a missionary someday. To tell you all a little more about the backstory of Russell, I need to start off by saying that he has been raised by his mom. His dad left when he was little but he never really had a father figure in his life. His mom works in a really nice hotel down here in Puno all day, every day which has made it so Russell has essentially grown up on his own. He turns 17 here in a month or so but he is extremely mature for his age and has expressed great desires to go to the temple with the youth soon while also preparing to serve a full time mission in a year or so. It was a great privilege to baptize him and there was a very special Spirit as he came out of the water with the biggest smile on his face! It truly is incredible how much the gospel of Jesus Christ can bless the life of someone and change them forever!

Luis is still doing well! This week the adversary was working really hard against him. Luis´s  brother is sort of a Peruvian gangster who got himself into some trouble this past week because he owed some people some money. So basically, these people threatened Luis´ brother that if he didn’t pay up, they were going to go after his family. His brother is working on getting the money, but in the meantime Luis has been stuck in his house until his brother pays off his debt. Once Luis found out what was going on, he called us and let us know that we needed to stay away from his house until this problem is resolved. I know this story sounds a little crazy but we know the Lord is protecting us and Luis. We pray every day for him and he is striving to continue reading the Book of Mormon with his desire to be baptized once the problem is resolved with his brother.
This week we also were able to meet the family of our investigator Milder. They are super hilarious and this past week we had an awesome visit with them. They are all willing to hear us, so we will be returning to visit them this coming week. The Lord is preparing so many people for us to teach down here in Puno!

In closing this week, I just want to bear testimony that I know for a fact that the Book of Mormon is true. This past week I finished reading it for the 10th time and I can honestly say that each time I read the Book of Mormon my testimony of it grows even stronger. It truly is a sacred record of scriptures that the Lord saved for this very special time. Just as the Bible does, The Book of Mormon testifies of the Jesus Christ. His divine attributes, his miracles, and most importantly his Atonement for each and every one of us. Just as President Monson challenged all of the members of the Church to do last April, I know that it vital that each of us have our own testimony of this sacred book. It is a testimony that is necessary in these difficult times and a testimony that we all need to continue nurturing throughout our entire lives. I know it is True and it has blessed my life as I have read it each and every day throughout my mission and will continue doing so for the rest of my life. I love you all and pray that you have a fantastic week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett


Russell's Baptism


Russell and his Mom










Russell and His Family





Russell, Elders Fawcett and Vargas



Congratulations Russell!








Russell and Elder Fawcett




True Happiness!









Brownie is Growing Pretty Fast!