Monday, October 23, 2017

Week 67 - Census in Peru

Hola,

I cannot believe that another week is already over.  This past week we were super busy with all of the Changes, so we spent a lot of time doing that along with preparing for a huge meeting that we had with all of the Zone Leaders. It was a busy week for us here, but we still had a great time. As for stories go, I have a few cool ones to tell you for the week.

First off, I am not sure if I have mentioned it before but as the Financial Secretary I am in charge of making all of the Legal Housing contracts whenever the missionaries move somewhere new. Well, this past week some missionaries decided that they wanted to leave a house where they were living and move to a new one. They were able to get out of the old house easily, but the problem occurred when they attempted to move into the new one. I went to the house to get the contract signed and take care of all of the legal stuff but something just didn’t feel right. I began to read the contract that the home owner was trying to get us to agree too (I don’t sign the contracts we have a member sign so that the missionaries aren’t apart of anything legal, I am just there to make sure that all of the legal stuff works out).  The written contract was completely against the things that we had agreed on. Not wanting to get in an argument with the home owner I felt the Spirit guide me in knowing what I should say. I won’t go into a lot of detail but I will just say that the Holy Ghost is real because I felt the words just come and knew what I had to do so that we would avoid any problems with the homeowner. Sometimes the promptings of the Spirit will come, even when we least expect them too.

This week we were out in the street when I heard someone yell “Hey Elder!” I turned around and saw that it was an investigator that I was teaching back in Puno about a year ago. I almost didn’t recognize them but I knew that I was helped to remember who he was. After talking to him for a few minutes I was able to find out that he had recently moved here to Cusco with his family and that after I left Puno, the missionaries hadn’t visited him a whole lot since I left. But he still had a lot of interest in hearing our message once again. I was super thrilled, thinking that I was going to have the chance to visit him all over again but as I started writing down his information I slowly realized that he lived in another Sector. So I had to pass his information to some other missionaries who are now going to visit him where he lives. At first I was really frustrated knowing that I wasn’t going to be the one to visit him again. But after thinking about it I have realized that no matter what happens I have been able to play the role that the Lord has wanted me to play and that is what is really important.

As far as our investigators go, this week was super tough. It seemed that for whatever reason they all had things going on. We had some visits set up and everything but it was really frustrating as we watched a lot of them seem to just fall through. The good news is that we had some solid visits with some of our top investigators that are all progressing super well. I am super excited to continue to help them grow their testimonies so that they can one day become great members of this Church.

In closing this week I just want to tell you about an experience that I had this past Sunday. Sunday was the Census in Perú and it was very interesting because we were not allowed by law to leave our houses all day and to top that off I was super sick so it gave me a lot of time to just think. I was able to read a bunch of the Book of Mormon and think a lot about the message that it contains. The Book of Mormon contains a powerful testimony of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Through it we can all come to know him more than we did before beginning to study it. So often, I am out in the street or in the house of someone I don’t even know trying to teach them about Christ and more often than not, they completely reject us. After pondering it a lot, I have come to the conclusion that we cannot make people accept the Saviors’ Message. As Members, the way we let the Book of Mormon affect each and every one of us in our lives is the same way in which others we introduce it to can also be affected.  Everybody has to allow the change to happen for themselves!  I am grateful for the knowledge I have of the Book of Mormon and pray that others can see the change that it has brought for me in my own life and will also want that to happen to them. I love you all and hope you have a great week.

Love,

Elder Fawcett


Elders Pineda, Fawcett, Lewis and Fincher





Fountain in Plaza de Armaz, Cusco










He Didn't Provide a Caption
So This Is What We Came Up With!







Dinner After Zone Leaders Meeting