Monday, January 8, 2018

Week 78 - 4 Foot Virgin Mary Statue!

Hola,

What a week! This week I just want to start off by saying that I tried a new food! Even though I thought I had tried everything in Perú at this point I was surprised today as a plate with a Rabbit foot was put in front of me. Now I know it sounds a little weird but at this point, anything is normal to me!  It tasted really good except perhaps the occasional burnt hairs that my Penchanista had not been able to get off! I love the Peruvian food whether its rabbit, guinea pig, or even a cat (that’s an experience I will talk about after the mission…)!

So as for investigators go we had another sad experience this week as we had to drop another one of our new investigators. I do not want to go into a whole lot of details other than to say that Luis has changed a bit, he is struggling with a problem of a bad spirit possessing him. Like I said I do not want to go into lots of details other than to say that we Had to stop visiting him.

Despite the slight set back we did not let that affect us as we went out and found another great new investigator named Lourdes! She is 57 years old and is very Catholic! She is so Catholic that she has a literal Catholic Virgin Mary statue (about 4 feet tall) that she prays to in her house. Being Catholic she believes in a lot of different things but she is willing to listen to us. The interesting thing about her is that her family members have a lot of problems with alcohol and drugs. One of them was drugged out on the couch when we contacted her, if that explains anything. There are a lot of people in the home that need our help and we are trying our best to help Lourdes first so that she can be the example to the rest of her family members!

This week I went on divisions with our great District Leader, Elder Boelter! When we were on divisions we both got an awesome idea of a new way we could find and contact new people. So on Sunday we went to one of the biggest plazas in Puno with all of the district and set up a table with pamphlets of all the discussions, contacting cards, and two big signs. As we were there we were able to talk to a ton of people and it worked really well because a ton of people came directly to us and were interested in what we were doing. We were able to get a bunch of great contacts for the Area so we are hoping to be able to go out and visit them this week!

Milder is progressing super well! On Sunday we had an awesome experience with him as we were talking. He told us what great friends of his we were and how much he liked the things we were teaching him. He was a little ill so my Companion and I took the chance to ask him if we could give him a blessing to get better. He accepted and I had the chance to give him the part of the blessing. The Spirit was super strong but perhaps the greatest miracle was we saw him today and he told us that he was feeling normal and knew that it was because of the blessing.

In closing this week, I just want to bear testimony that I know that the Lord puts trials in our lives to make us stronger. It seems as though there have been so many trials throughout the time here in Manco Capac. But as we have worked we have indeed been blessed and I know that the Lord wants this work to continue to grow. Throughout the trials we have faced I know that he is making us stronger and that as we continue to have faith in him, that he will bless us and help us to find those who are prepared to receive this Gospel. I love you all and hope that you have a great week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett


Traditional Dish of Rabbit











Prepared with Hair and the Foot!


Division with Elder Boelter








Elder's and Sisters in Puno