Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 80 - Mango Season in Perú!

Hola,

Its mango season in Perú! During the past 19 months I have learned that Mangos are the best fruit in the world. No question! Hahaha! This week was pretty crazy! To start off I just want to tell you the big story of the week. Now I don’t tell this story to scare anyone or anything like that but to tell you of the Power of Prayer and the Priesthood. About a week and a half ago I started to get really, really sick. Throughout the mission I have had parasites several times, multiple stomach infections but never had I felt as sick as I did. Knowing that it was growing worse I went to the hospital this past Tuesday and gave the doctors a pretty good scare. After several examines they had an IV put into me and I laid in the hospital room for about 6 and a half hours as they pumped countless medications into me. It took a long time but when they finished I was told that I had a severe intestinal infection that was causing my intestines to internally bleed and was also treated for coughing up blood as well (due to having thrown up so much, sorry for the details but in order for me to tell the story it is necessary). They then told me I would heal but I was bed ridden all day on Wednesday and had to take a lot of medications and have a special diet of pretty much soup and rice. After several Priesthood Blessings and many prayers offered on my behalf, I can tell you that today I am feeling 100% well. The doctors were really worried about my body being able to recuperate fully but I know that it is due to the many prayers and blessings given to me that I am healthy again. It was a long week in the aspect of health and President Herrera’s Wife almost had me airlifted to Cusco to be treated but I know that our Savior Jesus Christ was at my side the entire time. Not one moment passed that I didn’t feel his presence with me. There is work for me to do and I know that it is thanks to him and his healing power that I can continue my working in this incredible work.

This week we also had an awesome visit with our new investigator Juan Carlos. After teaching a very powerful lesson he had the desire to be baptized and we invited him to prepare himself to do so. He is currently preparing for a baptism here in a few weeks and we are praying a lot on his behalf so that he can continue to learn and gain a testimony of our Savior and his divine role for each and every one of us.

On Friday we had a special Ward activity that us as missionaries put on Called “Viaje a Hawaii” (Trip to Hawaii). Basically what happens is everyone boards a “plane” to go to Hawaii and a video is shown in which the plane crashes and everyone dies. We then are guided through the plan of salvation and it is explained what happens to us after this life. The activity went very well and we had a great turn out of both investigators and members who made the activity work out good! Perhaps the coolest thing about the activity is one of my converts who I baptized a year ago, Jhon, surprised me at the activity. He is doing super well as a member of the Church and has learned so many things in his year as a member. It is such a great blessing to see someone who took us 6 months to baptize, who is now one of the strongest members in Puno.

Rainy Season has started once again in Perú which means there was also some nice new rivers for us to walk in and take pictures of. It rains pretty much every day and every time my shoes get dry; they are immediately drenched again. But it’s alright because the rain makes people stay home, and contacting is sometimes easier. Also we are now starting a special time of the year for the people down here in Puno. I may have mentioned it before but every year around this time there is a huge month long celebration of the Virgen de la Candelaría.   Basically it is a huge tradition in the Catholic Church of this special virgin. There are dances pretty much every day but yesterday (Sunday) they had an enormous parade in which people danced and there were TONS of Bands. It is a huge belief that everyone has down her and more than anything a tradition that has been going on for a long time. Even the members of the church go to the parades which made it a very difficult day yesterday (Sunday) to find many people to teach. Literally everyone in the entire area of Manco Capac goes to the parade and it lasts all day long. It’s really neat to see but also, it is very difficult for us to work when it is going on because literally nobody is home. Sadly, we are just starting the celebration so it is going to be a difficult few weeks for us. Thankfully we have the Lord on our side and his work is going to continue progressing and miracles are going to continue to occur.

In closing this week, the last cool experience of the week occurred this past week in Sacrament Meeting. We were greeting members as they arrived to church when we were then privileged to meet two MTC Presidents who were visiting Lake Titicaca (the floating Islands) as a trip to end their mission (they finished last week). The two MTC Presidents were the President from the Argentina MTC and the President of the Chile MTC. It was a privilege to spend the 3 hours of church with them and their wives and to get to know them better. One of the Presidents asked me how I was planning to end my mission. Although I had not mentioned to any of them that I only have 5 months left, he somehow knew that the end was drawing near. I thought about my answer for a second and before I could answer he answered the question for me. He said “Finish your mission, the way the Savior finished his.” I have thought a lot about that and know that our Savior Jesus Christ finished his eartly mission with such honor. He completed things that none of us can comprehend. He worked miracles and served every single second he could until he finished his earthly mission. As I have thought about it, I have realized that although I can never serve even close to how the Savior did, but I can try my best every single day to do so. I love him and know that he will continue to walk with me every step of my journey and help us to find the chosen people who are prepared to receive us. As one of his missionaries and representatives I know that I will be blessed to see miracles as I work to serve the children of God in Perú. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett

                                                                    Giant Slide for P-Day! 

                                                         Portions of the Virgen de la Candelaria Parade

Trip to Hawaii









Elder and Sister Missionaries

Elder Fawcett and Jhon









Members on the "Plane to Hawaii"!





That Time Again!
When it Rains, it Pours!




Meat in the Open Market
Possible Source of Parasites???














Just Like When he was "5" at the Parade!







Parade