Monday, April 16, 2018

Week 92 - Nothing Abnormal, Just Nasty Cheese!

Hola,

For starters this week, I didn’t eat anything out of the ordinary thankfully. But I did get a little sick again from the nasty cheese that they sell in the street here. I may have talked about it before but the cheese here is absolutely disgusting. I do my best not to eat it but sometimes, I have no choice and just pay the price later. It is all good though, they are just experiences that are helping me learn and grow more just like everything else I have the chance of going through as a part of my mission.

Mutual on Saturday was once again a huge success. My Companion and I taught the youth how to make tacos since most of them have never even tried a taco (they don’t exist in Peru). We taught them how to make tortilla dough which is pretty simple, along with delicious guacamole, topped off with some great taco meat (made it without taco seasoning since it doesn’t exist and it turned out way better!). It was a great experience and almost everyone from the Ward showed up for the activity. Not only that but once again we were blessed to meet some new nonmembers who we are hopefully going to be able to teach in the coming weeks.

This past week we had a great miracle occur with our investigator Marcia. She sort of disappeared for a while but this past week we found her and continued to teach her. We asked her about her feelings on baptism and she said she wasn’t sure about whether she should or not. We invited her to pray that night to receive and answer about what she should do. That night, she did so and had an amazing experience that she told us about. It is a really sacred experience so I don’t want to share it right now but I will say that she received a very clear answer in a dream following her prayer. After receiving her answer, we were able to finish teaching her all of the lessons and on Sunday she passed her Baptismal interview. The only thing left for us to do is getting a family member to sign her baptismal register (she is only 17 so she cannot legally sign yet). Her parents live a long way away from Puno and she is studying alone here so she called her Mom for permission and she told her that it is her decision. So we are going to hopefully have her Aunt and Uncle who are members in another Ward sign it for her this week with her Mom’s permission and have her baptism on Saturday. It truly is a miracle how our Heavenly Father can so quickly change some one’s heart!

Another cool experience is we were invited by the Oliviera family to celebrate their oldest son, Johnathon’s´ birthday. It was super cool and I always love a Peruvian style birthday with cake in the face and eggs on your head. I got him a cool Real Madrid Soccer Jersey (that is one of the biggest soccer teams down here in Perú, it is based in Spain but plays internationally all over the world) since he is one of my good buddies I have made while here. Celebrating his birthday with him reminded me a lot myself when I turned 16. Reflecting on the past 2 years of my life I realize how much I have grown in these past few years.

In closing I just want to talk about one of the things that has been on mind a lot recently. After General Conference, I made myself a goal to learn as much as I could about Personal Revelation since President Nelson stated how important it is for us as members of the church. As I have been studying it a lot lately it has reinforced my desire to continue seeking it as I strive to work as a missionary and continue to grow my testimony. On Sunday I had to teach all 3 hours of church (talked in Sacrament meeting, taught Gospel Principles, and also the Young Men), which has occurred many times, but as I did so I learned just how useful Personal Revelation can be. It has been a blessing to me throughout my mission and continues to be as I strive to always look for ways to serve others. It is important for all of us just as the Prophet stated and I just want to challenge everyone to try and seek it out in your daily lives. I love you all and pray that you have a great week.

Love,

Elder Fawcett


                                                                    Our New Apartment Again! 



Traditional Peruvian Cheese in the Streets!








Celebrating Jhonathons B-Day!





Jhonathon






Taught Them How to Make Tortillas!









Cookem Up










Chop Up the Vegetables












Socialize









Putting Everything Together


Up the Street From Our Apartment








Down the Street From Our Apartment