Monday, April 9, 2018

Week 91 - Cactus Fruit

Hola,

What a week! So this week’s new food was actually a really good one. I was served cactus fruit and I can honestly say it was delicious. However, I pretty much destroyed my hands while trying to get to the edible part. Once I did, the fruit was delicious and it was interesting to once again try another food that I never have tried. Also, remember how we moved houses about a month ago? Well we once again moved this past week because my Companion and I had been unable to sleep for a week or so due to a dog that literally barked right outside our door every single night, all night long. We are currently living in a nice new building that was recently built. I will send a video next week so that you can all see. In addition this week my Companion and I continued to work very hard and had some great miracles occur.

First off, we started this week off with a whole lot of rejection. It seemed like nobody wanted absolutely anything to do with us. But by the time we got to Sunday it seemed like everything had completely changed. During our time together my Companion and I have contacted our entire area, but after knocking on some doors for the 2nd time we received a different response from people who had slammed their doors or had even gotten upset about us knocking. After knocking on a door, we were greeted by an older woman who had gotten really upset the last time we had done so. Hesitating a bit, we contacted her and after thinking about it for a second she said that she would be happy to hear us. So this week we are headed back to teach her. It truly is interesting how the Lord prepares people in his own time and how sometimes it takes multiple attempts for someone to receive the gospel.

Another miracle we had was during an activity we had with the youth of the Ward. A few weeks ago President Herrera told me that we needed to start having Mutual activities in the Ward to better work with the youth. There is not a Young Men’s or Young Women’s President in our Ward so we are sort of acting as the Presidents to all of the youth. Thanks to having great Young Men’s Leaders back home during my time in the Young Men’s program, it made it really easy for me to plan activities with my Companion. We divided the month into 4 different activities for each month, Week 1. Sports (basically playing a different sport each month because the youth love to play sports). Week 2. Cooking combined with the Young Women (preparing plates to help prepare them for missions and for adulthood). Week 3. Duty to God and Mission Prep (My Companion put a goal to try and help every young man in the Ward receive his Duty to God and prepare to serve a mission). Week 4. Careers (this was one of my favorite things I did in the Young Men`s program, most youth here have no idea what they want to do for their future careers so my Companion and I are calling different adults in the Ward to come and teach us about their careers to get the youth thinking about what they want to do in the future). These are the 4 basic ideas we had and have been praying a lot and have felt it will be a great benefit for all of the youth in the Ward. For the past couple months my Companion and I have been teaching all of the young men in the Ward each Sunday, and we have noticed a great change in their desires to prepare to become leaders and holders of the Greater Priesthood. We have worked hard to activate every single young man and personally visited every single one of them and in the mutual activity and this Saturday we had a great turnout as every single young man in the Ward was present in the activity (we played soccer). The youth even brought nonmember friends whom we hope to teach in the coming week as well!

Our investigators are all slowly continuing to progress as well and I know that as we continue to work hard, miracles will occur for each and every one of them. I am so grateful to be a missionary. Missionary work is so much more than teaching and baptizing people. It is about loving and serving as the Savior Jesus Christ did. I love him and am grateful to serve each and every person that I can here in Peru. I love you all and pray that you have a great week.

Love,

Elder Fawcett



Cactus Fruit










Our New Place, Video Next Week!


Good Ole Puno!










Boat on Lake Titicaca