Monday, April 30, 2018

Week 94 - Cooking Talent Thanks to My Mom!

Hola,

Another week complete and I feel pretty exhausted. We have been working really hard and this week we had a big burden of taking care of a lot of “things” in the Ward (still no Bishop) that fell upon our shoulders. Though it was difficult the Lord blessed us with some great experience but perhaps the greatest blessing was the new investigator we found and began to teach this past week. His name is Edwin and is 20 years old and currently studying in the University here in Puno. He is from an area about 6 hours from Puno and is currently very interested in what we have to teach him. One of his good friends is a member of the Church and we were presented to him this past week at an activity that we organized. As I stated, he is super receptive and has a lot of questions and even came to Church on Sunday. We hope to work more with him this week and plan to put a baptismal date with him as well.

This week also consisted of a great visit with Luis whom we have been teaching for a very long time. He has been going through some struggles lately but thankfully has a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. He has almost read all of it and knows that it is true. He even took it to an activity in the University as a book that has changed his life and shared it with other people. He is already a missionary, he just needs to get baptized and get the official call and will help a lot of people. We are working hard with him and hoping that eventually he will take actions and make the decision to be baptized.

We also had a great activity that we organized in the Ward and had all of the missionaries in the Zone participate. The activity basically consisted of us going to the center and shining the shoes of people for free. It may sound like a strange activity but it was a huge success. We got a TON of contacts and a lot of people were really impressed about how serviceable the missionaries from our church are. It was such a success that we plan to go back this week and do it again!

Also in our Ward this past week we organized another activity called “Dulce Mistura”.  It was an activity pretty much identical to the one we had a couple months ago called “Master Chef”. However, this time instead of having the members prepare their best dish, the prepared their best dessert. My Companion and I participated and I made Peanut Butter Cookie Bars (with Peruvian Style M&M´s inside, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, and honey roasted peanuts on top). Honestly I expected my dish to not turnout very good but it was actually really good. I guess I have my Mom to thank for the cooking talent! My companion made fudge brownies and they also were super good. The activity was a great success and the members loved it and was also a great activity to help us meet some new investigators.

In closing this week, I just want to state how grateful I am for the things I am learning each and every day. There has not been a day that has gone by during my mission that has by any means been easy. Whether I am deathly sick, walking all day up hills, or being rejected by every person I speak with, I know that there is a reason for all opposition. We are here on earth to learn and obtain the attributes of our Savior Jesus Christ. The mission has been the place where I have been tried more than ever but also the time in which I have been able to personally strengthen my relationship with him and obtain more of his divine attributes. I love you all and pray that you have a great week in all of the things you do.

Love,

Elder Fawcett


Service in the City Center








Polishing Shoes in City Center!













Typical Native Peruvian Dog


Guacamoli and Chips :)










Doritos Dippas!










Ward at Dulce Mistura













Ward Members


Mazamorra de Maizena c/ Naranja









Arroz c / deche y Mazamorra Morada








Marmoleado do Ap, Blanco y Morado














Elder Fawcett's Cookie Bars








Elder Guarchaj's Fudge Brownies


Budin de Platano








Bollitos de coco, choloclate, meca


Budin de Pan









Rollitos de Platano