Monday, May 7, 2018

Week 95 - Proselyting Through Harvesting Potatoes

Hola,

What a week! It seems like longer I am in the mission, the more tired I get. 6:30 comes earlier and earlier every morning! It’s all good though because I have never felt happier to get out of bed each day than I have while I have been on the mission. This week consisted of a lot of one thing, “finding”! We have been trying super hard to find new investigators and as I have worked, it seems like the times when I am least expecting to find investigators is when I am actually successful in finding them. For example, as I write this letter currently I am talking to a 24-year-old guy on the side of me who is really interested on what we have to teach him. Just got his address and number so should be interesting to go out and visit him this week!

For starters I just wanted to give a quick update on how things are going with the progress of our investigator Edwin! He came to church once again and is absolutely loving the Book of Mormon. During the announcements during Sacrament meeting he finished the last chapter of 1 Nephi and was anxious to continue reading it and learning. He has learned a lot about the Prophet Joseph Smith and if you ask him just about any question, he is able to easily respond with what happened during the prophet’s life. We are hoping that this week we can get a solid baptismal date with him and continue to help him progress towards this very important covenant.

Now for a funny story. So as I stated earlier, this week consisted of a lot of finding. Well to sum up just how hard we are trying to find more people I will tell you a quick story. So we were out working towards the top of our area where there is a little bit of farm land where people have their gardens. As we were walking we noticed an older lady down on her knees digging up potatoes. So, without hesitation we stopped and asked her if we could help. She was a little shocked to see us but asked why we would want to do that. We explained that we were representatives of Jesus Christ and that as his representatives we serve other just as he did. She agreed and we began to help her harvest potatoes for the next hour or so. We had some interesting conversations with her and she agreed to letting us come by again this week! I guess harvesting potatoes is the key to finding more people in Puno!

This past week was Zone Conference and interviews with President Herrera. It was nice to see some old companions and at the same time realize that I only have one more Zone Conference during my mission. Time sure is going super-fast and along with Zone Conference we also had Stake Conference. A member of the 70 was present during the conference and we had a special meeting Saturday evening for recent converts and investigators. It was a great meeting but toward the end the 70 asked that the missionaries with the most time in the mission stand and share their thoughts. After thinking for a second Elder Haws and I looked at each other and said “Well I guess that’s us then.” It’s honestly really weird to be one of the two old missionaries in the Zone, it feels like it was only yesterday when I was standing in front of everyone being welcomed as one of the newest missionaries!

In closing this week, I just want to share some thoughts I had during Stake Conference this week. As I sat and looked around the room I noticed the people I had the opportunity of teaching and helping get to the waters of baptism. There is no greater joy to see those whom you personally were able to help, growing and gaining a stronger testimony each and every day through the Church. The Gospel of Jesus Christ does so much more for us then simply respond to questions that so many people have. It changes us. Those who truly apply the teachings of the Savior each and every day of their lives will not only see a change in the way they act, but also a change in every other aspect of their lives. It is for that reason that the Savior needs to be the center and key part to our lives. I love you all and wish you all a great week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett