Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 19 - A Bitter Sweet Week

Hola mi Familia y Amigos,

So, this week was a better sweet one.  It began by taking a bus to Cusco for 8 hours on Tuesday to get my new Companion that I am training.  My trainer (Elder Iza) is serving in Cusco so we said our final goodbyes at the Mission Home there and I can honestly say that I definitely had the absolute best trainer out there!  The last thing he said to me is something that will stick with me for the rest of my mission and my life. “Elder Fawcett, you have the potential to be and accomplish whatever you want!  Give it your whole heart and dedication and you will work miracles!”  I will always remember that and I truly think it applies to each of us.  We said goodbye and it was hard to leave because I really looked up to him a lot. 

After that, I spent the night with some missionaries from my MTC group who were living in Cusco.  It was really great to see them again and catch up but I was already really stressed out when I got there and they didn’t make it any easier since they couldn’t believe that I was going to be leading and also training a new missionary.  They knew that in the MTC my Spanish was definitely not the best and they just couldn’t believe that I was going to be training.  But after that night, on Wednesday, it was time to get my New Companion.  So, the group of us Elders that were going to be trainers went to the main Ward Building in Cusco where we had a little training and an interview with the Mission President.  As it was my turn to be interviewed, President Herrera gave me an awesome interview.  He told me that he knew the Lord was asking a lot of me to train a new missionary so early on in my mission and at the same time being a District Leader.  But, he said that knew for a fact that the Lord wanted me to be doing this right now in my mission and that the Lord knew I could do it and he also knew that throughout my life the Lord was going to continue to ask a lot of me.

That made me feel a lot better because I was honestly really nervous.  After the interviews, all of the trainers sat in the Chapel and waited for all the new missionaries to enter.  As they entered, I wondered which one it would be.  Then President Herrera announced each in this manner.  “Serving in the Puno Central Region in the Ward Inca Pachactec, is Elder Fawcett and he will be training Elder Sarceño!” My new Companion stood up and that was that!

Elder Sarceño is from Guatemala and has been a member his whole life, but has been inactive for most of it!  He’s incredible and loves to work hard but he doesn’t know any English at all!  I just hope I can teach him as well as my trainer taught me!  We came back to Puno on Thursday and got right to work!  The first person we taught was a man who we had committed to baptism but decided he didn’t know for sure that it was all true.  As we taught, there was a new weight on my shoulders because being the Senior Companion/trainer, I had to lead the lesson.  As we taught the spirit took over and somehow the Lord enabled me to say what needed to be said.  After the lesson, Jhon has a desire to find out form the Lord if it is all true!

Now just one more bitter sweet story for the week.  Saturday, we were supposed to have the Baptism of a 12 year old girl named Lucero.  On Friday we visited her and her family and talked with her Mom (Geoanna). She said that she now has a desire as well to be baptized along with her other daughter Marilin.  Both of which were not interested before.  But, Geoanna wanted to be baptized the same day with her daughter Lucero.  So after speaking with the 3 of them, we have now moved the baptism to a few weeks from now in order to baptize all of them. 

It truly is incredible ho the Lord can change the hearts of his children.  I am so grateful to be a missionary and to have the chance to share this message with everyone!  I am also grateful for the great opportunity to train an incredible new missionary, Elder Sarceño he is going to be incredible!

Thanks for everything!

Love


Elder Fawcett


In the Puno Bus Terminal
Elders Fawcett, Iza, Haws and his Companion











Final Goodbye to My Trainer
Elder Iza at the Mission Home in Cusco













Elder Fawcett and Elder Sarceño At
The Plaza de Armas in Cusco








New Sweater, 100% Alpaca (30 Soles)
New Hat, 5 Soles
$1 = 3.5 Soles







Elder Fawcett and Elder Sarceño
in the Peru Home and Away Soccer Jersey!