Monday, March 27, 2017

Week 37 - Hitch Hiking

Hola,

What a week it was! This week was SUPER loaded with tons of Hard Work! My Companion, Elder Melo and I, spent our week finding over 20 new investigators to teach along with a ton of work for the Zone. I absolutely love to be busy and working hard in this Marvelous Work! It truly is the best! It’s all super awesome to see how the Lord will bless you with incredible stories as you are working hard in his work! Here are a few experiences from the week.

So one day this week we had to go out to another Sector in our Zone that is about an hour and 10 minutes away from Juliaca. As we were out there, it took a bit more time than what we had planned for and so by the time we were finished it was 8:20 and all of the buses to get us back to Juliaca had stopped for the day. Knowing that we needed to get back to Juliaca, my Companion said a prayer that somehow a way would open up so we could get home to Juliaca. We decided to just wait where we were for a bit to see if any buses would pass by. After a bit of time, nothing was passing. We were not sure what to do, but still felt like waiting a bit longer. After a few minutes, a car came by and stopped. A man rolled down his window and asked if we needed help. We told him that we were looking for a way to get home to Juliaca. He told us that he was headed there and that if we wanted, we could go along with. At first, we were a little hesitant because hopping in a car with a random stranger usually isn’t the best idea. But, both feeling the prompting of the Spirit, we hopped in and headed back to Juliaca. As we were riding, I realized that the Lord had opened up a way for us to return to Juliaca, even if it wasn’t what I was previously thinking. In a sense, I laughed and thought how funny it was that we essentially ended up hitch-hiking back to Juliaca. 

Another pretty cool story occurred this past week when we were out street contacting and felt like we needed to stop at the house of a member. Thinking it would be a good chance to ask for references, we knocked on the door and were invited in. Not any more than two minutes after we had sat down, did we hear a screeching of tires outside. We got up quickly and found the sister of the member climbing up, her motorcycle wrecked a few feet from her. At that time, we were able to give her a blessing, a blessing I know that helped her a whole lot. At first, I thought we ended up there by coincidence, but then I realized that our Heavenly Father does not work that way. 

Other than that, a few interesting things I would like to share about my life here in Juliaca.  On the side of the Church they sell sheep heads and raw meat. Yes, sheep heads. I thought it was crazy when I found out that they sell these because if they sell them, then there is also people who eat them. My Penchanista Hermana Roxanna, owns a Cevicheria. Ceviche is a type of fish they make here in Peru, but unfortunately it is against the mission rules to eat it. I would encourage you to look up what ceviche is and then you may understand why we are not allowed to eat it.  Ceviche is typically made from fresh raw fish cured in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with ají or chili peppers. Additional seasonings, such as chopped onions, salt, and cilantro, may also be added. Ceviche is usually accompanied by side dishes that complement its flavors, such as sweet potato, lettuce, corn, avocado or plantain. This dish is not cooked with heat. (Inserted by Parents)  Along with Ceviche, she also fries up octopus tentacles which I am allowed to eat. So many times for the past months here in Juliaca, I have found myself snacking and eating the octopus tentacles that are actually SUPER good!

We are currently working with so many investigators right now. Many of which are new. We are hoping that we can start to get a few Baptisms going for Nely, Melsy and Denis. It’s super incredible to see the progress of an investigator. Our Heavenly Father truly does prepare these incredible people for us. 
This Tuesday (tomorrow), I am headed up to Cusco for a leadership meeting with President Herrera. I am excited to go, but also anxious to get back here to Juliaca and work hard in this work. 

I testify that Jesus Christ lives. He walked this earth showing many miracles unto God’s children. It has been an incredible blessing to watch how he is helping me to see miracles. He lived and died for us to provide a way for each of us to return to our Heavenly Father. If we can each accept Him and His Atoning Sacrifice into our lives, we can each be blessed with noticing the incredible happiness that can only be found through following Him. I am so Grateful to Represent a Perfect Man who has walked every step of my mission with me. Helping me and changing the hearts of the people we come into contact with. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because he lives, we can and all will live again.

Love, 

Elder Fawcett

Elder Fawcett and Elder Melo
Playing Soccer on P-Day 














Didn't Ask What Type of Meat it Was
But, Might Explain Why I Get Fly's with Dinner!









Sheep Heads!!!
All Cooked up and Ready to Eat!














Not Quite Sure Where the Meat is;
Some of Them are Still Smiling!