Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 48 - Elder Christensen and Ollantaytambo

Hola,

Busy pretty much sums up this week! Seriously though, we have changes today so we are super busy working today. Thankfully we have P-Day the Saturday before changes since we have to work today. So first off, I just want to say that my Companion is now Elder Ordonez. He is from Guayaquil, Ecuador and speaks English super well. I would argue he speaks the best English out of any other Latino in the mission. So, I am really looking forward to using that to help me get better at Spanish!

Anyway, so this week we had a couple visits with the family I mentioned last week. Our visit last Monday went super well. They read the pamphlet and had so many great questions. However, the husband got so interested that he did a lot of reading on the internet about Joseph Smith and polygamy. Responding to questions like this has been something that I continually have been faced with in my mission. We explained that it was a commandment God had given to the early members, but was no longer a commandment. We even showed him instances in the Bible where it also was a commandment. After explaining all of this, he understood and accepted what we had explained. As we continued through the visit, it was super amazing to see as the Spirit worked in him to testify of the reality of the Prophet Joseph Smith. We are really looking forward to continue to help this great family progress and are hoping this week that we can get them a date for baptism.

As well, this past Saturday as I mentioned before was our P-Day. So we went to a really cool Incan site where there are seriously a TON of ruins. It is called Ollantaytambo and the ruins are dated to be from the same time period as Machu Picchu. In this particular Incan city there are several really cool ruins to see which include the level things on the mountain which allowed them to farm ( look like stairs), as well as The Temple of the Sun, a Military Fortresses, and the Ancient Incan Water System can be seen along with several other various ruins.  It was seriously super cool and the coolest part is I got in for free since I am officially a Citizen of Cusco.

This week we also had the visit from Elder Christensen, the president of the Seventy. He came with Elder Goday who is the President of the Area. They gave some really awesome talks that I am still trying to study and apply to my work as a missionary. Oh and we sang and that went great as well. They seemed to like and enjoy it a whole lot! The funny thing is in preparation for their visit, we painted the Church which was pretty fun except for the fact that I got paint all over myself.

In closing I cannot believe that today I hit 11 months since I left home. The mission flies! Next month I am officially half way and I cannot believe that. I love being a missionary and sharing the gospel with these amazing Peruvian people who I absolutely love! I love you all and wish you all the best week!

Love,

Elder Fawcett 


Elder Christensen, President and Sister Hererra
With Mission Staff







My Carved Inca Head From
Ollantaytambo




Selfie After Painting Service Project









Outskirts of Cusco







Map of Ollantaytambo

Pictures of Ollantaytambo

.







.







.






.









.






.




.







.







.








.


.







Bearded Man In Back






.



Grain Silos









Bearded Man







Ten Windows



.



.









.






.






Temple of the Sun


.





Six Monoliths




.









.






.








.






Military Zone






.






.




.


.






.




.




.





Vantage Point





Enclosure of the Ten Niches







.








.








Source of Water






.



Temple of Water





Temple of Water





.




.




.





.







Relaxing Along The Temple Waters




.


.





.



Inca Water System



Temple Fountain




.




Ceremonial Fountains



.






.



Peruvian Lama's




.



.